Antivilla by Brandlhuber+ Emde, Schneider situated in Rotkehlchenweg, Potsdam, Germany | The Hardt
Antivilla by Brandlhuber+ Emde, Schneider situated in Rotkehlchenweg, Potsdam, Germany. Antivilla, the refurbished former German Democratic Republic lingerie factory “Ernst Lück“ at the Krampnitzsee, southwest of Berlin, questions the relationship between building regulations and standards, energy efficiency together with the idea re-use and adaptive living. Built between 2010 and 2014 Brandlhuber+ together with Pichler engineers developed a combined living and studio building with a new approach.
Instead of insulating the existing structure and to save costs, the façade was covered with shotcrete. To generate an open space all non-bearing walls were removed and a functional 20 square meter core with the staircase, bathroom, kitchenette, fireplace as well a sauna were installed in the center of both floors. Space can be zoned by simple transparent PVC curtains according to the actual climate needs. In the summertime, the curtains are retreated only to a 10 square meter bedroom in the 230 square meters open loft space, while in winter the heated area makes only 60 square meters of the whole floor area which includes moving the bed closer to the open fire.
The gable roof, made of corrugated asbestos plates, was removed and replaced by a flat concrete slab that structurally allowed big openings in the walls. These, up to five meters, large windows on the north and south facade, are the result of the collective work by friends hammering away the wall to create big openings which provide a scenic view over the nearby lake.
© Erica Overmeer
Aesthetically and Geographically Related Projects:
- Katzden Architec Factory (2016) by NISHIZAWA ARCHITECTS
- House in Shatin Mid-Level by Millimeter Interior Design Limited
- STAAB Residence by Chen + Suchart Studio
- House B + B (2014) by Studio MK27 – Marcio Kogan + Renata Furlanetto + Architects
- Bunker Industrial Apartment in Hamburg (2017) by Thomas Schacht
- Apartment Trocadero by Rodolphe Parente located in Paris, FranceApartment Trocadero by Rodolphe Parente located in […]
- Horizon by VOIS Architects located in Paros, GreeceHorizon by VOIS Architects located in Paros, Greece | […]
- Jardins House by CR2 Arquitetura located in São Paulo, BrazilJardins House by CR2 Arquitetura located in São […]